I am very excited about the recent announcement of Facebook: http://developers.facebook.com/docs/api . It is very close to what I imagined writing the linkedPIM specification. I have some remarks though:
- semantics still need to be better captured, using JSON does not solve anything – I would use an OWL model to define the standard
- the model will need to be extended, another argument for using RDF/OWL
- Facebook seems to be preparing for competing with linkedin, which is very natural imho I base this assumption on example dataset:
- profile model is really poor, it should be much more like in the address book (telephones etc) – base it on the vcard
- they still try to keep the social web in frame of their own portal. it would be better to claim ownership of a protocol and semantic model which every portal can use (become the main layer in the service architecture)
"name": "Director, Product"
P.S. The old “Chinese” curse is fulfilled. We are living in exciting times.